Monday, September 21, 2009

Using Alfresco 3.2 "Share" capabilities

I recently install Alfresco 3.2 Community on a VMware image on my machine to play with it. For information on how I did that, see my other post.

I had some questions about how, exactly, I might use the 'share' capabilities. These basically emulate a lot of the capabilities that Microsoft Sharepoint provides. I believe, in fact, that Alfresco actually presents a Sharepoint protocol interface that can be used by other sharepoint clients.

Questions:


Questions:

  • Q: How do I get to WebDAV path of files in Document library?
  • A: http://192.168.177.131:8080/alfresco/webdav/Sites/firstsite which is the same technique used for all other Alfresco WebDAV access.
  • Is there a way to directly edit document library files
  • Is there a way to share files between “Share” and “Alfresco” hierarchy?
  • o A: “Alfresco” main site sees the content of the “sites” hierarchy as files data, but I don't think the "Share" sites have a good view of the containing Alfresco instance
  • o Operations on the items seems to be limited. I don't seem to be able to create "rules" on documents within a "site" document library, but I'm not sure I ever was.
  • o Can Embed a “widget” or treat as a “site” ?
  • o Tried with a “web view” applet, but that requires you to login and doesn’t really connect to much.

  • - How would we create a main company site, then show highlights of other sites for projects
  • - How do we create template share sites to create new projects?
  • - Is there a quick way to “monitor” for changes in a site? (e.g. email)

  • Q: Is there a way to create an “intro page” for a site?
  • o A: yes. “Customize Dashboard” to move around widgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment