Friday, September 18, 2009

Setting up an easy VMware Linux machine

I spent a few minutes playing around with VMware to get a linux virtual machine set up on my PC. It was actually fairly easy:

  • Download and install latest VMware Player from www.vmware.com (reboot)
  • Download a Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop virtual machine from the "Appliance > Operating Systems" section of the VM Ware site
  • Unpack the VM image
  • Double click on the virtual machine and VMware player starts up.
Magic. Easy.

Now I have a VM running linux on my machine that I can play with. It seems to be auto configured with NAT networking, so I can use SMB to access shared drives on my host PC to transfer files back and forth. It can also reach the internet with a web browser, etc.

1 comment:

  1. NOTE: I was able to increase the original 512MB RAM allocated to it by simply using the "VM Player > Troubleshoot > Change memory allocation..." menu, then sliding it up to 1024MB. After rebooting the guest OS, it recognized it as having more memory. This worked great on my 4GB Dell Latitude e6400 machine.

    ReplyDelete